While understanding the different macronutrients and how they can support your goals is a great starting point when learning about healthy eating, there is so much more to good nutrition than protein, carbohydrates, and fats! Take fiber for example- fiber is a type of carbohydrate that cannot be digested and broken down like other carbs. Fiber also offers a load of health benefits (beyond just keeping you regular) if you hit the recommended amount, which can range depending on the person from 21 to 38 grams per day! Take a look:
Benefits & Sources of Fiber
- Fiber helps prevent constipation and promotes regular bowel movements.
- High-fiber foods are often lower in calories and help you feel full, aiding in weight control.
- Fiber can help stabilize blood sugar levels, making it beneficial for diabetes prevention or management.
- A high-fiber diet can lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Fiber-rich foods can help lower blood pressure and improve cardiovascular health.
- A fiber-rich diet may decrease the risk of stroke.
- Fiber feeds beneficial gut bacteria, promoting a healthy gut microbiome.
- High fiber intake may reduce the risk of diverticulitis and other digestive disorders.
- A high-fiber diet is associated with a lower risk of colon cancer.
- Fiber helps control hunger and reduces overeating.
- Fiber-rich foods keep you feeling full for longer periods of time.
- Fiber can enhance the absorption of important nutrients in the gut.
- Fiber can help maintain healthy triglyceride levels.
- Soluble fiber can ease symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
- High fiber intake is associated with a reduced risk of gallstones.
- A healthy gut, influenced by fiber intake, supports the immune system.
- Fiber can help improve the complexion and overall skin health.
- A high-fiber diet may reduce chronic inflammation in the body.
- Fiber can help regulate hormonal imbalances.
- Chewing fiber-rich foods can promote oral health.
- Fiber assists the liver in the detoxification process.
- Fiber can alleviate symptoms of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD).
- Fiber can help reduce inflammation and pain in joints.
- A healthy gut can positively impact mood and mental well-being.
- Fiber can help maintain optimal pH levels in the body.
Now that you know a few of the many benefits of fiber, learn how to get more fiber in your diet from food. Check out the infographic below, and save it to your phone for a quick guide when you’re on the go!